I will be teaching a little class in the “Learn how to make French Beaded Flowers” Facebook group in May. This is a group that Fen Li and I run to help others learn the art of French Beaded Flowers, and so others who enjoy the art can come together to share their work, ask questions, and chat. I’m in charge of the May class, and I’ve chosen a project that’s a little different, and I’m way excited!
In the last few months I’ve gotten lots of emails and messages asking me for and about succulent patterns. Succulents were further down on my list of things to make. But… as I was trying to figure out what to present as a project for my month, our local nursery posted on Facebook that they had succulents for sale. So, we put on our masks and dragged our kids to the nursery for a much needed outing. And I bought a bunch of succulents so I could study them close up.
But, then I didn’t even use any of these to design the ones for my class! But that’s okay. It aided in building my excitement, and now I have studies for these varieties done. Because I’m going to make more. Hopefully I’ll get a couple out during May. I’ve developed some neat ideas that I’d like to get out there.
For my May class I will be teaching two succulents – Echeveria and Sedum Stahlii (aka Coral Bells).
I spent so much time trying to decide what colors to use for the Echeveria. They grow in just about every color of the rainbow. I even found some really weird ones that had the full rainbow in them. It was overwhelming to have so many options. So, instead of modeling that one after a specific variety, I picked colors I liked and chose a shape that was generally Echeveria-ish. I went with turquoise because that’s not a color I get to use very often with regular flowers. I also made a smaller blue one, mostly just to show that you can make them smaller by leaving off layers.
The Coral Bells Sedum is naturally colored based off an image I found on the interwebs, but they do come in other colors as well.
I was originally going to pot the two plants separately. I didn’t choose them or their colors to go together. But after I put the Sedum together I realized how nice it looked next to my turquoise Echeveria, so I shoved them into the same pot.
To participate in the class you will need to be a member of the afore mentioned group (link at the beginning of the post). After the class, the patterns will be available here on my website.
Wedding Bouquet Update
I’m still working on a custom wedding bouquet – the very last custom order I will ever take. So far I’ve made hot pink roses, and orange dendrobium orchids. Since my last blog post I’ve also added in Areca Palm leaves. I didn’t need the full sized leaf for the bouquet, so they are shorter segments.
I believe in my last post I mentioned I would be working on Pincushion Protea next. But, as I started trials I decided I didn’t like the beads and wire I originally selected, and because I don’t really keep a lot of orange on hand, I had to order more in and wait. So I made the Palm leaves while I waited.
But, now my new beads and wire have arrived, and they work so much better, and I am nearing completion of the proteas. Can’t wait to show you guys how they turn out! You can kind of see a small portion of my second prototype on my tray here.
Yes I will be publishing the pattern. And yes I will also be publishing the Dendrobium Orchid above. The Dendrobium is held up at the moment because I don’t want to publish just a stem, but the whole plant. And I want to include alternate shading patterns. So I just need a minute (ish) to get those parts done. But, other stuff came up that was a higher priority.
That’s all I’ve got for now. Happy Beading to you all!